We never forget to eat in order to stay active and feel strong. But what about drinking water? Most of us do not drink water during the day, instead of it, we swallow coffee or soda. And we only feel thirsty after a run or exercise. When, indeed, our bodies demand fresh water to stay functional.
Hydration and Health
The reasonable goal to drink water is to stay healthy. There is no standard amount of water to drink every day because all our needs differ. It depends on the person’s weight, lifestyle, and nutrition, etc. So, when you ask a question “How much water should I drink a day to lose weight?” – the answer will stay the same.
Here are some misconceptions, which are connected with the issue of hydration.
- The rule of “8 cups of water every day” is better than nothing. But it is truly suitable for males 9-13 years of age only.
- Some amount of water can be replaced with foods – fruits, for example. It is true, but not for those, who keep special nutrition. The sugar from fruit adds calories to your diet.
- The necessary amount of water increases with the age. But active children have to consume more water than the grown-ups because kids’ water intake is about four times faster than the adults’.
- Over-hydration can be as harmful as dehydration. When you drink the liquid, your body makes urine to control the fluid balance. But when you absorb too much liquid during a short period of time, there is a probability of water intoxication (when your body has a low blood-salt level).
So, it is important to know exactly how much water each member of your family needs. You can easily find out what is best for you using the tables of appropriate water regime from the Internet. Mind the next options, which must be taken into account: sex, age, weight, height, metabolism, and level of physical activity. To be sure about the correctness of the freshwater regime, consult your family nutritionist.
The hydration level can be maintained with specific foods and beverages. Moreover, they feed the organism with other essential nutrients.
- Watermelon consists of almost 95% of water, so it is not a surprise that its’ slices are full of refreshing components. The watermelon tastes good as it is. But watermelon cocktail (blended) also becomes a rescue from dehydration caused by alcohol.
- Strawberries and other berries, like blueberries and blackberries, are full of water. And besides, they contain potassium, which helps to keep a healthy fluid balance. You may serve any dish at the table with berries and, thus, increase your family hydration level.
- Cucumber is the best ingredient for the salad if you need to hydrate your body. This vegetable also consists of magnesium and potassium, which affect positively on the skin condition.
- Celery carries plenty of water – about 96%. It will not probably fill you up, but can, at least, curb the appetite and give useful components such as potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron, zinc, and fiber to your body.
- Coconut water is helpful in keeping the hydration. It also has elements which restore the blood sugar level. But be careful and choose a natural drink exclusively, but not packed ones with a large amount of sugar and preservatives.
- Smoothies can be the ideal decision for those, who do not like eating veggies and fruits. The right combination of ingredients makes a fresh and appetizing taste. Such a drink is a full breakfast for the whole family because it combines the benefits of fruits/greens and yogurt/juice.
We lose water each day that is why we must heal the balance. Someone needs more amount, another one – less. But the truth is that our bodies depend on water to survive. Drinking fresh water is a concern not only for your organism to work properly, but also for the body to look flawlessly, and the mind to think clearly. So, do not neglect it!…